Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Draft Prospect Link question"

bacdorslider posted:

First step.... fill it out and send it back... they will likely come in the spring and watch a game or two... maybe want to come by the house for a visit.... 

When MLB office starts asking for a urine test your getting in the game

I can't speak from experience in high school  MLB scouting, but I can share what another parent shared with me:

If a team representative comes for a home visit, they are checking out more than your son: how much would it take in bonus money to keep him from college ball?  How much is your house worth, with a quick look-see?  What cars are in the driveway?  Basically, what kind of life will he be giving up, or how low can we go and still get him?

If money questions are on the questionnaires, leave them blank.  It is still early.  

I believe the urine test, and an eye test, before the draft is for the top 200 players.  There are  still 1000 other players that will be drafted.  If your son is drafted, and not the top 200, he will eventually have to do a urine test.  Players need to stay clean.  He may not get a warning.  Son's urine test was in the middle of conference tournament games.  Literally....like at the field.

Advisors may start contacting your son. (They contact you; not the other way around).  Do some research and reach out to others on this board that had sons drafted out of high school.  College scouting is a bit different as they are 3 years older, legal to sign contracts, and 3 years of college are in the books.  Parents aren't around for the interviews.  It was fun watching the scouts and cross checkers at games however   

I know it is an exciting time, but try try try to keep it humble.   Because you never know.