Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Draft Prospect Link question"

2022OFDad posted:
baseballhs posted:

We have 2 guys on our hs team that are projected to go in the first 2 rounds.  They have scouts at the house frequently and there are scouts at the hs practices.  I wouldn't say they talk about it a lot, but everyone knows, and I read the projection lists.  I'm really happy for them.  I hope they both go high and it is nice to have the scouts around who can see the other guys.  Its good for them, our school, the community.  Excited to see how it pans out.

Except those scouts aren’t looking at the other guys, they are looking at the 1-2 that are prospects. I’ve seen it for years, once the inning ends and that pitcher leaves the mound, the radar guns go in the bag and the scouts talk amongst themselves until he comes out to pitch again, or his next AB if a position player.

Sometimes we would have 30-50 guys with guns and notepads watching our HS pitcher.  He was expected to go high....and was an eventual 1st rounder out of an ACC school.  But our story is, after one HS game, one of the scouts went to our HS HC and asked where the short stop was committed.  My son was only a sophomore at the time and not committed anywhere and no one had shown interest yet.  The scout said that he was going to contact a university, and that weekend we were on our way to our very first unofficial visit.  Those scouts are sometimes the eyes and ears for their college coach buddies.

"Always play like someone is watching...."