Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB drug testing is a sham"

Pedaldad posted:

Personally, I never write for opioids for anything other than significant trauma and post-operative pain control.  Very rarely more than a few days, never more than 2 weeks even in the most dire injuries/surgeries.   Heaven forbid you show up on the operating table with a crushed limb.  But if you do, I promise you that you part of your medical management will include a scheduled regimen of opioids to assist in pain control.  I will promise you that you will appreciate it.    I also promise you that if written responsibly by the physician (almost always the case) and if you follow that regimen (less frequently the case), you will run little to no risk of addiction.  If you abuse/misuse it, that is where the problem is.

I have had major surgery including brain surgery as a result of a tbi from a fall, and have been able to avoid taking opioids as a personal choice and have gotten through the pain management issues, but how do you tell someone else to “suck it up buttercup” and avoid things they are prescribed? I have a son who is a freshman in college, and will now be receiving treatment from trainers and doctors away from me if necessary, and reading this thread scares the hell out of me. From a doctors standpoint, if you try to manage pain from surgery under a lesser painkiller will the pain eventually go away as the surgical wounds heal? Just trying to understand why anyone would ever want to risk the opioid addiction?!