Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Pennant Races"

RJM posted:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10...taubman-fired-astros

The Astros just fired Taubman. He obviously did something wrong. But I’m tired of people being fired for every politically incorrect thing they do. We’ve become a society that‘s turned getting offended into an art. Even though I’m a right leaning libertarian I was against forcing Al Franken to resign.

Unless there’s a track record the best solution is make the person grovel in public for an apology. Then make them do some kind of community service until they get it.

Thwre are too many males being tossed out of colleges without due process due to zero tolerance after an accusation. 

I don't think you should try to turn Taubman into some kind of poster child for men treated unfairly. This is not a murky he-said/she-said case and there is no doubt about what happened.  If I did what he did (in front of at least four witnesses, too), I'd expect to be fired.  If I did what he did  and compounded that by getting nationwide bad press for my employer--an employer that is in the entertainment business and relies on the public's goodwill--I'd expect to be ushered to the exit so fast that there would be a serious risk of neck injury.  If the Astros had handled the aftermath differently, then maybe Taubman could have saved his job.  But once they took to the barricades and witnesses started calling them out on their version of events, there was no way.

We also don't know what other incidents may be in Taubman's personnel files.  Maybe this was a one-time mistake--I have no idea.  But given what we know, would it surprise you if he has faced prior complaints from the women he works with?  Most men would not openly taunt a group of women in a workplace setting about a domestic violence issue.    I'm cynical enough to believe that if Taubman had a 97 mph fastball, he might have skated.  But however talented he may be, the Astros can replace him without busting the salary cap or giving up prospects.  This was a no-brainer.