Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB playoffs"

@PABaseball posted:

This is more the point I'm making. Your 30 million/year future hall of famer has to be better.

The 4.3 ERA is average, but doesn't tell the whole story. He has been absurdly bad in every clutch spot and big game. Allowing 3 or less in 13/28 means he has allowed 4+ in more than half his playoff starts. Now I put a lot of that on Mattingly and Roberts as well. Running him out for the 7th with a 5 run lead. Not yanking him after 100 pitches in a tight game. Bringing him in relief when you have the best closer in baseball. The list goes on. There are 8 minute YouTube videos of Kershaw playoff implosions. You can watch the highlights from any of those games and say what is he still doing in the game.

It's not completely fair to him, it just seems like any time his team is on the brink of elimination or in a tight spot he ends up getting the ball. I like Kershaw, but I can only watch the same thing happen so many times before I have a pretty good idea of what the next result will be. You have to start him, but short leash has to be the was name of the game.

I think I agree with you here. He's been mismanaged a ton in the playoffs. Last year's mistake was ridiculous. And last night, while not on the level of 2019, was certainly a mistake. He should have been pulled after Freeman's double, if not at the start of the inning. The Braves lineup was ahead of him from the first AB, and he was going to get pummeled at some point. I think the game state after Acuna's single in the 6th was the definition of a high leverage situation, and is the type that Roberts/Dodger mgmt has shown an consistent ability to either mishandle or not recognize at all.

If the Dodgers come back to win it, it will not be due to Roberts. But if they lose, I do believe it will be due to Roberts.