Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB playoffs"

@JCG posted:

The entire Giants broadcast team is excellent, and I enjoy listening to Miller work with all of them, but I think he's at his best when he has to go it alone on the radio, preferably during a blowout or other dull game and he starts spinning stories that last multiple innings as he weaves in and out of the game action.  Just great stuff.

As for his national career, back in the day ESPN found a way of ruining the pleasure of a Sunday night game even with a HOF broadcaster in Miller and a HOF second baseman (Joe Morgan) in the booth.  I think they did then what they do now, regardless of the on-air talent or the type of game covered: over-produce the product, work too hard to fill every second of air time with words, overpack the booth,  and try to create storylines rather than let the players dictate the story.  It just became unwatchable, which was sad then and seems even more so now with Morgan's passing.

I chatted Jon Miller up once, maybe 30 years ago, when we were both waiting for a train in the Baltimore Amtrak station.  Nicest, most approachable and engaging guy you would ever meet, and anecdotally more than happy to talk baseball with random strangers.

I think Giants fans are spoiled with the high level of broadcast talent. It makes it hard to listen to others, especially whoever ESPN has doing the broadcast.