Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Post Season Thread"

PGStaff posted:

Anyone remember the discussion on here about why the Astros drafted Bregman so high a couple years ago?

There is always some luck involved in the draft. We went on record that we thought Correa was the best prospect that year.  Most had him between 5th and 10th pick.  Buxton who went with the second pick was the overwhelming choice at no. 1.  Buxton went second but received the highest bonus.  The Astros actually decided on Correa after several others turned down the deal they wanted to make.  They got Correa at a bargain price for the first over all pick and that allowed them to draft and sign McCullers.  Smart move the way things look now, but had someone else excepted their offer they wouldn't have Correa now.  They also drafted Mark Appel first overall in another year.  That one hasn't worked out yet.  There is always some luck involved when you are dealing with young players.

The PG All American Game in 2011 had quite an infield on the East Team.  Correa, Seager and Addison Russell.  Lance McCullers was the starting pitcher.  Interesting enough there was another first over all pick on that East team.  However it was Jameis Winston.  6 others on the East team have made it to the Major Leagues. BTW, the West Team won the game.  They were led by none other than Alex Bregman.  The West team had 5 other players that have made it to the Major Leagues.  In that game Joey Gallo hit one of the longest home runs ever in Petco Park as a junior in HS.  These were all players that just finished their junior year in HS and became draft eligible in 2012 (five years ago)

On the topic of late bloomers, WS MVP George Springer is one.  He just kept getting better and better from his soph year in HS through college.  And he is still getting better.  check out his profile.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Pl...rofile.aspx?ID=12464

Ironically, I looked up Springer’s PG profile last night because I literally knew nothing about him. He’s now listed at 6’4”/221. It’s hard to tell how large someone is sometimes on TV.

Regarding Correa, as I mentioned about a week back, I know someone who expected him to fall to their team in that 5-10 range and they were devastated when he didn’t. He also said that Correa’s ability to stick at SS was questioned because his body was a little soft.  Said he took that to heart and really worked hard to lean up his body and it was a clear sign that he took this thing seriously. 

Again, great series and although nothing is guaranteed, it looks like both teams are set up nicely for the future. 

Last edited by hshuler