Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB proposes changes to MiLB"

The idea that it's MLB driving this is at least largely incorrect.  The central management of MiLB is driving this train.

One thing MiLB is finding out as time goes on is that there is a limit to the number of communities who will underwrite an $80-100 million stadium every 15 years.  And if we know one thing, it's that MiLB expects to have big-time stadiums provided to them at low to no cost.  (Or else, they'll move a team to someplace that'll do that for them.)

I think owners who are currently with profitable franchises that would be on the chopping block will ultimately have to be paid off to get their cooperation.  My read on this is that MiLB would rather have fewer, high dollar enterprises, instead of the upper level franchises feeling undercut by low-cost competitors in the next community over.  But if they don't buy out the low-value team owners -- getting them on board voluntarily -- there'll be a big old test of that so-called antitrust exemption.

Where this leads is to fewer MiLB franchises, all with higher ticket prices.  Which is definitely the goal of MiLB management. 

I think I'd like to buy a Rookie League franchise right now, so that I can hold out when they come to buy me out.  Definite ROI there!