Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB questionairres"

If asked about how MUCH $$ would it take to sign, the best answer would be fair market value. FAIR MARKET VALUE IS A POOR ANSWER. UNLESS YOUR SAYING YOU WILL SIGN FOR THE VALUE THAT THE TEAM PUTS ON YOU. FOR EXAMPLE IT MAY BE 50 GRAND IN THE 10TH ROUND.

As an example, fair market value for a HS, RHP throwing 92 committed to such and such school. THIS IS INCORRECT AS WELL. THROWING 92 HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. UNLESS THE TEAM THINKS YOU HVAE PROJECTION REMAINING AS WELL AS SOME PITCH ABILITY AND SOME LOOSNESS WITH A GOOD ARM ACTION AND DELIVERY.

You can search scouting reports and compare where HS RHP throwing that veocity might have signed for last year. ITS NOT ABOUT VELOCITY. UNLESS THEY THINK YOU WILL THROW EVEN HARDER THAN THAT.

This would be done taking into consideration your son's position. You can also determine by where your son fits in the overall scheme of his HS year (rankings) and the state (rankings) you reside in. It takes a bit of work, but will give you a better understanding of the draft and how it works.

THE BEST ANSWER IS THIS:

I REALLY WANT TO SIGN AND WILL SIGN FOR NO LESS THAN THE SLOT AMOUNT THROUGH ______ ROUNDS. or I REALLY WANT TO SIGN, BUT COLLEGE IS IMPORTANT TO ME, SO UNLESS I GET A ________ BONUS AMOUNT I WILL ATTEND COLLEGE. or I HAVE NO INTEREST IN PRO BALL AT THIS TIME BUT DO WANT TO WORK TOWARDS THAT GOAL WHILE PLAYING IN COLLEGE. THANKS FOR THE INTEREST. or I HAVE NO IDEA AT THIS TIME BUT PRO BASEBALL IS IMPORTANT TO ME AND SOMETHING THAT I WILL WORK AT. or

Just be honest. Do what YOU want and not what others suggest. Answer the question from your heart. Scouts will be at your sons games if he is a prospect no matter what the answer is. They are a valuable tool. Use them to gain your answers.

The reason for that question on the questionaire is as important as any question that you will answer. Its asked to gain interest. Its asked to see how realistic you have evaluated your abilities. If your evaluation is to high the scouts will tell you and help you with becoming more realistic and if not then a team will either pay you what you want or you will be going to college. Just be prepared for the worst case situation, but also be prepared for someone to like you more than you even like yourself. Meaning, there will be a time that you will have to sign and send your son away to begin his career. Some get cold feet even after they are drafted and change their minds because the reality of leaving home is RIGHT NOW.