Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB's "One Baseball" Plan a Landscape-Changer"

Baseball has to envy Football and basketball having created minor leagues with the NCAA.  The NFL in particular has boxed out players until they are 21 and have shown the ability to function on their own for three years at a minimum before they have to weed through them.

The move I'd like to see MLB make is to get teams in Asia into MLB.  Fold up 6 US based teams and expand to 32 and create an 8 team Asian division in Japan, Korea and Tiawan and maybe China.   If I owned the Pirates or Rays and could lay claim to MLB in Tokyo I'd be there in less than a heartbeat.

Pretty easy folds Pitt, TB, Cincy, KC, Clev. and Miami.  All would land in huge cities with a massive love of baseball.  The money that would rain in as well as the jolt to the fanbase would be huge.

With 4 8 team divisions you could play 32 against other division in your league. 98 against division (14 x7) and 30 interleague.  Tinker with that and you'd get about 2 long roadies of 15/16 games per year.

Better yet play 126 in division and only 36 out of division and you can limit the long roadies to 2 per year of 10 games or so.

More money to be made? Sure, but I strongly disagree with everything else. 

What free agent is going to leave America and go sign with a Chinese team? How do you convince a 17 year old high schooler to sign with the Taiwan Thunderbirds instead of waiting a few picks and signing with the Tigers. 

I don't know where the idea that baseball has a money problem comes from. Baseball has a boring problem, not a money problem.