Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Scouting Bureau"

I graduated from MLB's "scout school", which is run by the MLB Scouting Bureau. I could not say enough good things about the guys who work for the scouting bureau. Although they don't get the "fanfare" of being affiliated w/one particular team, they provide an invaluable service.

TPM is correct with his statements. They grade tools, write reports, etc...They will follow up w/eye tests, personality/psych tests w/guys that may be drafted in earlier rounds. The scouting bureau guys do not really get in to the off field issues, background, signability, etc...The area scouts for the respective MLB teams have the responsibility of doing all that homework. That being said, just because it's not in report, doesn't mean that information isn't shared. Wink

JerseyDad, sounds like you had a great experience w/your guy. Your story reminds me of a couple of the Bureau guys down here: Jim Walton and Rusty Gearhart. Great guys, w/tremendous knowledge. Those guys have forgot more baseball than I'll ever know.
Last edited by 643_DP