Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Strength Coach Available for Advice"

Originally Posted by CoachCavaleaML:
Originally Posted by Leftside:

I like using a heavy bag as part of general conditioning for pitching.  

It is a good cardio workout without doing something that can be a negative like distance running.  

Need to make sure the wrists and hands are properly wrapped and I use boxing gloves as opposed to MMA gloves for extra protection.  A guy needs to make sure he is throwing a punch with proper technique as well.  

I feel this assists with developing a good core rotation (as the punch is initiated with the hip and rotates out through the arm), endurance and to a limited degree upper body power.  

Any thoughts on heavy bag work? 

Also, any tips besides lateral bounds or Heidens for trying to develop lateral power?

Thanks. 

This is not a good idea due to the compressive forces on the shoulder. There are about 100 or more better ways to condition as a baseball player. In addition, this method has no carry over to the game. Pro guys would be discouraged of this and many have realized the negative of it on their own as a result of an injured shoulder, wrist, and or hand. Stick to the basics- performance training for sport is not fitness. Its about doing what it takes to be the best ballplayer possible.

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome to the site.  

Makes sense with the shoulder compression I suppose.  Its funny, a former pro guy suggested this.  

I have found most "programs" lacking in developing power.  Actual power that is transferable to game situations.  I have seen guys get into better shape.  I have seen guys increase their gym strength but not have it carry over.  I am not sure where the disconnect happens.  Of course, a guy looking better (going from soft to cut up) may or may not have any relation to actual strength and power.  I find things like CrossFit or P90X to be silly for training baseball players....then I do my own variation of this with the heavy bag (although that was just an occasional thing).  Live and learn I guess.  

Doing a lifting program, arm care, throwing program, mobility work ect is all easy enough in terms of information.  Trying to tie it together to maximize performance is where I am struggling.