Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB Strength Coach Available for Advice"

Sorry I missed this. I usually check this on my phone so sometimes I miss pieces of the thread. Anyway all of our bullpen pitchers lifted 3-4x per week in season. With that said if I knew somebody was unavailable for the night we work them harder. If I knew a picture was going to go extended innings that night out of the pen because the starter was on short pitch counts I would save a lighter work out for them that day and hit them harder the next day. If you have the ability to lift in the morning it should have minimal to no impact on afternoon performance due to the amount of rest that is present. In addition in season training volume is typically lower than off-season which further supports the claim that lifting early in The day would not have much effect on pitching performance. For starters we never left them on game day but hit them hard for the three days after. This too is adjusted based on time of season usually leading to the day after start being a swim day.I hope that helps and gives you some insight. If you train them to be what you want them to be, that is what they will become. This was always my philosophy and over time we built a great program and players  believed in everything we said.