Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB team questionnaires"

Consider the ML Team questionnaire or bio form the "job application" for the upcoming draft. 

I send over 120 of them to players each year.  I probably have time to see most of those players in their spring season (but not all).  When I send them to players, I note the date when they were sent.  I also note the date when I receive them.  Right or wrong, the length of time is an indication to me of a players interest (or non-interest) in the draft.  It's also an indication of the player's accountability, responsibility and make-up. 

Occasionally forms come back in a parent's handwriting (Moms more than Dads).  They also come back partially filled out or sloppily filled out.  These can all be red flags for me.  Professional baseball is a long and grinding process, players need to be organized, accountable and responsible to succeed.  If I can't count on a player to get a simple form back in a timely manner, how can I assume he will be able to handle the daily grind of pro ball?  How can I feel comfortable that he will be able to survive daily life away from Mom and Dad, to pay his bills, do his laundry and make sure he is getting himself to practice and games on time? 

These forms may seem like something small, and for players that get them from all 30 teams in their draft year, they seem monotonous and repetitive, but unless they are filled out with care and in a timely manner, the chance that I will see the player, let alone recommend my club draft that player decreases exponentially.

Just my 2 cents.