Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB team questionnaires"

OK I feel the need to say something.

The MLB draft is all about talent, projection and makeup.  

All the other stuff is fluff.  There is no need to build a relationship with scouts.  In fact, if you are good enough they might try to build a relationship with you.  Many times the relationship is built after you have been drafted.  Building a relationship will NOT get your son drafted any higher than he would be without the relationship.

That said, if we are talking about someone just getting the opportunity to play professional baseball.  Someone not being considered in the first half of the draft.  It could help if the scout really likes a player and knows a lot about him. Guess I can see how that might be a reason to build some sort of relationship that might result in a favor.

I agree with what "Blazer" mentioned in his post.  He is a full time scout so he knows.  Filling out information and returning in a timely fashion can be very helpful.  However, I'm sure "Blazer" would agree with this... If the most talented prospect in your territory doesn't rush to return information... It might not be a good sign... But he will still be followed closely.  It might be a red flag... But he has to be accounted for.  Talent cannot be ignored just because he didn't return a questionnaire on time.