Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB team questionnaires"

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

However, I'm sure "Blazer" would agree with this... If the most talented prospect in your territory doesn't rush to return information... It might not be a good sign... But he will still be followed closely.  It might be a red flag... But he has to be accounted for.  Talent cannot be ignored just because he didn't return a questionnaire on time.

Agree 100%..Talent trumps all.  However with so many very talented players throughout the country, why take a chance that your info might not be as complete as another player?  Don't give a club a reason to choose another player over you because you failed to do a simple form.  When players are tied or similar in talent, the player who got their info back completely and in a timely manner wins over one who did not.

Originally Posted by Pop Up Hitter dad:

Blazer,

Very well said and I could not agree more. In every region/community there are individuals who run leagues, training programs and are considered to be well connected with MLB organizations. They are viewed as being very knowledgeable of local talent. How valuable is their opinion of a local prospect? Can a negative report, regardless of merit eliminate someone from being followed? 

A negative or positive report will always be followed up on by the scout.  I listen to all opinions on a players makeup.  Some opinions are more valuable than others.  If I hear the same report from multiple sources it has more merit.  Someone who has a track record of giving good advice or evaluation of a player's readiness for pro ball is more valuable others.  At the end of the day though, I'm always going to make the final call.  I'm going to try and learn about the player on my own and make my own assessment.  I try to take it all into account.