Skip to main content

Reply to "Mlb testing rule changes in independent Atlantic league"

From what I read, nobody knows yet how umps will use the e-info on balls and strikes. I don’t understand how the data can be used during an AB without seriously disrupting the flow of the game.  Does anyone have details?

I wouldn’t ban shifts, but doing so doesn’t seem like that big a deal. 

The articles I read say all catcher mound visits will be banned (unless part of a pitching change).  I get the desire to speed up the game, but what if P and C need to change or clarify signs?

It’s moving the mound back that has me concerned. Lowering the mound seems like a relatively easy adjustment for Ps. But changing the distance to the plate?  Breaking balls could be radically affected.  Even fastballs would need to be thrown/located differently. Ps have thrown from 60 feet 6 inches since they were 13 or 14 years old—that is a lot of reps, a lot to re-work. Maybe it won’t be all that difficult...  Maybe. But at a minimum, why not allow Ps an offseason to adjust, rather than changing mid-summer?  That gives players less than a week to adjust. (Batters will have  adjustments to make, too, but those seem relatively minor.  And ultimately more time to see a pitch ought to help, though maybe not enough to matter in the case of an extra 24” of travel time.)