Skip to main content

Reply to "Mlb testing rule changes in independent Atlantic league"

Chico Escuela posted:
Go44dad posted:

I've seen a lot of furor over this.  It's a test in an independent league.  Let's wait and see.  

Just a robot umpire calling the rule book strike zone may be a really big change.  I assume each hitter will have a strike zone based on his (height, knee, etc)

Did you ever see Hakeem Olajuwon standing next to Pat Ewing or Kareem Abdul Jabbar?  Hakeem had really short legs compared to many of the bigs.  Conversely a longer torso. Although not an exact height match (Hakeem was 6'10 3/4"), Hakeem would have a larger strike zone than Pat/Kareem.

Can't think of any big men from Boston to compare him to....

From what I have read (which isn’t at all clear or comprehensive), there will still be umps behind the plate calling balls and strikes, but they will be able to use (how? beats me) the robot strike zone info. I have no idea how that works in the flow of the game though. Maybe there is an option to review close ball/strike calls?

Wouldn't it be super simple to have an ear piece for the human ump notifying him or her of the ball/strike call, and then he or she can signal the ball/strike call? Clearly there's a need for a human ump anyway -- check swings, foul tips, plays at the plate, catcher's interference, etc.