Skip to main content

Reply to "Mlb testing rule changes in independent Atlantic league"

uncoach posted:

I'm not sure why so many are up in arms at the distance change. It's really minimal. t's not even a full 2 feet. 60'6" to 62'2". I can put my 2 feet back to back and that may be the difference in distance. They are doing this in the same season, so that they have data that can be accurately compared. Those claiming the distance change in the middle of the season is unfair to the pitchers haven't mentioned how unfair it will be to the hitters, as well, since the timing and sight adjustments they will need to make in the middle of the season are sure to give some of the batters fits. This distance, if changed permanently in MLB, does not necessarily impact HS ball unless NFHS decides to change the rule to match OBR. 

It's not so much the pitcher is disadvantaged for breaking balls or velocity, it is more about extra reaction time for the hitter. Imagine moving the mound up 2 feet. It would make a huge difference. 

Either way it is a solution saying we want less Ks. Instead of having hitters change their approach, they are changing the game to work around a poor ABs and coaching.