Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB umpiring incompetency strikes again"

If they are good enough to umpire the games that decide who will be in the playoffs they should be good enough to call the playoffs as well.

So much focus on the umpires and every call that is marginal or missed takes away from the game. They are not perfect. They never have been and they never will be. If your going to use instant replay on every call, if your going to scrutinize every pitch call then get rid of the umpires and let machines and video call the games. Take the umpires completely out of the game at the ML level. And change the game forever.

Umpires have been a part of the game since it first started being played. Questionable calls, marginal calls, missed calls have always been a part of the game. Yes we want them to get it right. Yes we want them to do the best job they can do. But I do not expect them to be perfect. Some people it seems expect them to be perfect. They never have been and they never will be.

What is the answer? If your not going to come to grips with the fact they are human and will make mistakes then you have to be in favor of total replay. How much fun is that going to be for you? Every call at every base is decided by replay. Every call on every pitch is decided by some type of machine. Maybe thats where it will lead to eventually. Maybe 20 or 30 years down the road umpires at the ML level will no longer exist on the field. They will simply sit in a booth and hit a swith to indicate safe or out , ball or strike once the play or pitch has been reviewed by video. I hope I never see it.