Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB umpiring incompetency strikes again"

quote:
Originally posted by bsballfan:

And agree that you are 100% the authority on all things umpire related?

I don't think Coach May, Coach 2709, PGStaff, Trojan-Skipper and others I have had the pleasure to debate civily, agree with and sometimes disagree with, would think any such thing.

I'm sure, however that TR, Noreplay and some others do. Here's what influences my posts.

I am older than many here, in late 50's. I've umpired since I was 22. I've worked several levels including high school, D-1, D-111, Legion, Select, Adult and have had the great fortune to have also worked relief in two minor leagues when an umpire gets ill or injured or promoted and his replacement can't get to town in time for a game.

I've been to proschool and work hard to keep my skills current. This requires harder work each year and I have gone to pro clinics to help keep up and stay current on rules interpretations.

Over the years I have met many minor league umpire and a few major league umpires and have been lucky enough to maintain a relationship with some of them I am not unique in that. Many amateur umpires have MLB friends. We just don't talk a lot about them. It's fairly universal that if we do, we lose their trust and eventually their friendship. From what I've seen here, I'm sure Matt13, Dash, PIAA and MST also have contacts at higher levels.

Most of all, I am a student of baseball and of umpiring. I've studied how the game was called in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. (I was there for the late 70's, unfortunately.) I've studied the evolution of the rules and work to understand not just the rules and interps, but also the reasons for the rules.

I've studied mechanics from the time they weren't referred to as mechanics, to the birth of the written two man system, the three man system and the four man system. I've dabbled with the six man system, but very little...I've only worked it four times.

I am not the best umpire. I am not the worst umpire. As I'm fond of telling coaches who say nice things at the end of a game..."I'm sure you've had better, I'm sure you've had worse." I work hard to get into position, I hustle and I call only what I see.

I respect coaches, managers and players who respect The Game, play it hard and honestly, and love it for what it is.

I do not respect those who disrespect the history and "grandness" of The Game or don't appreciate their "inheritance". I don't suffer well those who generalize or don't take the time to understand any role but their own, and who chose to accept emotion and opinion over facts.

I know that I can appear arrogant. I have on occasion apologized for that, especially when I have misunderstood a post or question. But I don't apologize for it when it comes in response to those who who chose to engage in baseball "class warfare" and choose not to consider the why's and wherefors of the actions of The Game or just want to attack and then beat the drum, again and again.

I truly enjoy this site and the many posters who chose to share their knowledge and genuine passion for The Game without hyperboleor shading the truth and who are willing to examine information that may be new to them...regardless of the conclusion they may come to.

Agreement is not necessary for respect. Honesty is. And I can happily say that this site is blessed with some good honest people.

One last thing, I really appreciate MST and PIAA as moderators and the all the other moderators as well. Their job is thankless and they do it well.
Last edited by Jimmy03