Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB umpiring incompetency strikes again"

Umpires - I know you are doing the best you can do with what you have. I know many people have tried umpiring and told me it is far from easy. I believe them. The "mechanics of umpiring" is difficult is usually what I hear most from those that try it.

My gripe is not with umpires (you are the messengers) it is with Major League Baseball; its Excutives and owners. Umpires need better tools to do their jobs better because the game has changed and will continue to change. Expectations from coaches, players and fans for correct calls will continue to increase. MLB is once again putting their head in the sand just like racial integration and PEDs or steriods. Reaction is part of their organizational legacy - to do as little as possible or resist change. Rather than be proactive they choose the path of "business as usual" or being reactive. This is all on the commissioner in my mind. He has the power to try to move this forward to protect the "brand" and grow it. Some will say the "brand" is already growing in attendance and revenue. I contend the "brand" would have been even bigger with these needed changes. The bigger problem is MLB needs to get on the front-end of future issues if it wants to compete with other major sports.
Last edited by fenwaysouth