Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB vs College - Crunching the Numbers"

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

Over the past several years MLB scouting departments have hired about 12 PG scouts. The interesting part of that is that every one of those scouts have a college degree.

Obviously you don't need to have a degree to be a MLB scout.  It's not what would be considered a high paying job.  I doubt that many young people head off to college thinking they will be a scout someday.  Baseball gets in your blood.  Those that truly love the game are happiest when they are around the game.

College is always a good choice when considering the future.  It can create the most opportunities.   At the same time, IMO, the most important thing in life is happiness.  So I totally understand when a young person chooses baseball. Also believe those young people should have some kind of secondary plan if things don't work out.

Daron Sutton did a recent interview with Mike Trout.  Mike's parents were in education.  Mike is a big believer in education.  He did have a back up plan.  Of course, things have worked out well and he is happy.  BTW, I don't really believe athletes should be role models, but this kid, Mike Trout, is one of the best role models in all of sports.

Anyone can be a role model. It's about how the person carries themselves and what they accomplish. Not what profession they're in.