Skip to main content

Reply to "MLBPA Announces 5 Round Draft"

RoadRunner posted:

“The NCAA is yet to decide whether to extend an extra year of eligibility for all Division I spring-sport athletes, just seniors or none at all. If the NCAA decides to extend eligibility for no D-I spring sport athletes or only seniors, it would leave undrafted juniors with a pair of poor choices. In a normal year, a college junior picked between the sixth and 15th rounds could expect to normally sign for between $125,000 and $250,000. In 2020, if they go undrafted, they can either sign for a maximum of $20,000 or return to school, knowing their negotiating leverage will be limited the following year as a senior sign. Depending on the NCAA’s decision on eligibility, they would also have to risk returning and competing for bonuses next year with a much larger pool of senior players on top of competing for playing time with an extremely talented incoming freshman class.”

This is what I’m talking about, when I say difficult. Direct quote from the article https://www.baseballamerica.co...rts-incoming-talent/ in case some do not want to read the entire thing. 

I’m going to make this simple since you don’t seem to grasp the concept. To make it simple I’m going to round off the math. There were 1200 players taken in the 2019 mlb draft. 300 were HS kids, 100 JuCo,  & approx 100 international players.  That leaves a balance of 700 college players. Some of those were seniors and some were draft eligible sophomores. Say that total is another 100. It’s actually probably higher. That would leave a total of 600 college juniors that were selected.  There are 301 baseball teams in D1 alone. Assume 10 juniors on each team. That’s a total of 3000 college juniors in D1 alone. If 600 out of 3000 get drafted that is 20%.  So 20% (or less) of college juniors stand to be negatively impacted by what’s happening. I’m not arguing that. What I’m saying is damn near 100% of incoming college freshmen will be negatively impacted, over 50% of JuCo transfers will be negatively impacted, and a lot seniors will be impacted one way or the other. 100%, 50%, and “a lot” are all greater than 20%. That’s what I’m saying. Besides that, as I said earlier, the elite juniors are still going to be drafted so the 20% would be reduced by that amount.