Skip to main content

Reply to "MLBPA Announces 5 Round Draft"

PABaseball posted:
adbono posted:

Yes I read it.  And what I said is correct. MOST college juniors weren’t going to be drafted even in a 40 round draft. So MOST of them aren’t affected too badly. On the other hand MOST incoming freshmen & MOST Juco transfers ARE negatively impacted. And for college seniors it could be good or bad but it will affect MOST of them too. 

You're right, most college juniors would not have been drafted. But there are a lot who would have been drafted and signed and that is no longer the case. 

For now it is the P5 programs and the quality mid majors that are going to have the biggest problems. For these schools, they need juniors, draft eligible sophs, and high schoolers to get drafted in order to make that 11.7 work. When those round 5+ guys don't sign (as they shouldn't) it creates the backlog. 

NLIs were offered on the basis that the MLB draft would happen as planned and players would leave. After these meetings take place the conversation is going to be - forget the eligibility, how am I going to get 15.4 down to 11.7? 

I know at our school (P5) there were 4-6 guys who were expecting to get drafted and sign. Only one of them is likely to leave now. With at least 10 more coming in, that is going to be a problem. 

The MLB/MLBPA basically gave the finger to the NCAA and told them to figure it out. The figuring out is where the craziness starts and it will be crazy. 

I agree with everything you said. See my previous posts