Skip to main content

Reply to "MLBPA Announces 5 Round Draft"

RoadRunner posted:

If 600 out of 3000 get drafted that is 20%.  So 20% (or less) of college juniors stand to be negatively impacted by what’s happening. I’m not arguing that. What I’m saying is damn near 100% of incoming college freshmen will be negatively impacted, over 50% of JuCo transfers will be  impacted, and a lot seniors will be impacted one way or the other. 100%, 50%, and “a lot” are all greater than 20%. That’s what I’m saying. Besides that, as I said earlier, the elite juniors are still going to be drafted so the 20% would be reduced by that amount. 

So your logic says that only the JRs that should have been drafted and weren’t are affected?  But all freshman are affected?  Or do you mean all freshman would have been drafted “100%” and got screwed outta being drafted?  (Not a real question). If all the freshman are affected, even those that normally would NOT have been drafted, then why does that same logic not apply to the Jrs? (Rhetorical question). You are comparing several different groups against one another while using different standards for each group. So forgive me for saying, but I don’t think you grasp the concept, even if you did read the article. 

OMG!  I’m not talking about the impact of a smaller draft on how many incoming freshmen and JuCo transfers do or don’t get drafted. I’m talking about the overall affect on college baseball of a limited draft, giving existing players another year of eligibility, and potentially increasing roster sizes. The draft is one component of a multifaceted problem.