Skip to main content

Reply to "Mom who just doesn't understand"

Money is definitely an issue....believe me I know. However, we knew that some investment would be required so we stayed closer to home for the most part and did more local showcases. We initially felt that going to a JUCO was "lowering yourself" particularly with respect to academics. Our son is a good student (1700 SAT, 26 ACT); top 15% of class. Also, a good athlete....all district performer in both baseball and basketball...but wasn't getting a lot of attention mainly, I think, because of his lack of size(5'10" and 145 lbs). My wife, nor I initially, were crazy about him going to jr. college, but we wanted to support him and try to "keep the dream alive" and see if he doesn't grow and continue to develop his baseball skills. After his first day of classes, and first baseball practice yesterday, he sounded excited and energized.

Mom.....listen to your son and give him a chance to realize his dream. You don't want him looking back years from now and wonder "What if..." He may hold it against you and damage your relationship in the future. Plus, if money is a concern....jr. college is a whole lot cheaper!! Make him the same deal we basically did...you have 2 years to make it on the field...after that decide to concentrate on school.
Last edited by Outfielder