Skip to main content

Reply to "Money spent"

At our high school there is a $160 per sport participation fee. There is a family limit for the school year, but I know it's pretty high. I have to pay the $160 fee three times (once for my daughter and twice for my son). Kids on reduced lunch have a reduced participation fee and kids on free lunch don't pay at all.

Coach requires the purchase of some practice clothing (i.e. warm-up shirts, fleece pull over), hats (1-2), pants, and specific game socks. Some of this varies by level. Varsity kids have to purchase more than sub-var kids. I would say it adds about another $100. Kids are responsible for their own equipment, except there are team helmets. But, they are old and only fit really big heads. I don't think the team actually owns any bats. The team does own catcher's gear.

The participation fee is mainly used to pay for umpires and transportation. The coach barely gets enough money from the school district to pay for turfis (we live in a very wet area) and game balls. There is no money for field maintenance or upgrades. Any money for that has to be fundraised. Our money situation is so bad that we are no longer using our second baseball field because it is shared with soccer in the fall and javelin in the Spring, so it needs a lot of upkeep. They actually throw javelins straight into the pitching mound during warm up and practice. The Freshman team will have to play at the nearby middle school where the Little League teams play. Our maintenance staff is so short staffed that we only get our field mowed a couple times during the Spring. The program actually scraped together enough money to purchase two very old (circa 1970s) tractor mowers and the coaches are out there on weekends and evenings trying to get the field mowed. Being a high school coach in our area is not easy. There is no booster club to help fundraise or support the activities. All fundraising activities are on their own.