Skip to main content

Reply to "Moneyball/Sabermetrics"

quote:
I have always told my son that the first pitch get me over fastball may be the best pitch to hit he sees in that at bat and have ecouraged him to jump on it. But I'm not positive it the correct approach.

I agree on a first pitch fastball. That approach isn't as straight forward in College and Pro ball because that first, let's just get ahead in the count pitch, becomes anything BUT a fastball since hitting fastballs is what got them there. This is especially true for the middle of the order and power guys. More often they get a "get it over for a strike,"change-up, slider or curve.

MLB stats show hitters averaging 100 points higher when ahead in the count versus behind. At my sons Fall wrap up with his Head Coach, his fall game stats revealed he hit over .400 when ahead but well below that when behind. Their advice; "hit ANY pitch, early in the count, that you can drive." Too often HITTERS take early "hit me" off speed stuff waiting for that fastball that often does not come.

Hitting early in the count philosophy has always been one I favor for guys that drive the baseball. Slap hitters, , well like pitchers, they are a little different. No offense meant!
Last edited by Prime9