Skip to main content

Reply to "More D1 dead period...April 15th..."

@RoadRunner posted:

If they delay spring sports, I personally would be for delaying the start of spring semester, provided that education can become “real” again with in person instruction.

Real education as we know it won't return next spring, not unless the teachers and professors get vaccinated first.

Here in FL they are expected to drop the pfizer vaccine in December and in my county. Vaccine given in drive by to many.  Yea, how to you keep it at 100 degrees?  I need 2 shots. Who is covering cost?  Health care workers, first responders, the millions of seniors living in facilities. Most healthy people want to take moderna, the single shot. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Some folks feel the people of Fl are being used.  Some people dont even think this is true, and wont know the truth until information is exchanged between the old and new administrations. 

Because most D1 and D2 brought their athletes on to campus, many have had covid to deal with. Had to stop practice for awhile and go to individuals because at one time too many were not able to come to practice. If one gets it, the roommates have to quarantine. But they got thru the fall and today FAU finishes up their Iron Owl competition and the kids will be tested and they can go home if negative. They are allowed to come back to use the facilities and finish their online classes and take exams. Of course if you live off campus that's great not sure if freshman will have an issue going  back to dorms but this is for all athletes.

The biggest challenge was keeping them in their bubble. It was a great learning opportunity.

I heard recently that the ACC/SEC are planning 4 games per weekend, no weekdays. Since then many conferences are following. Obviously this is great because it saves them all $$$. Also an opportunity for cold climate schools to head south and stay in one place. This is great for schools close in proximity.  Lots of things to work out for RPI, required number of games, etc. This wont be an easy task with or without a vaccine. Of course much has been learned through the football experience. Did they have problems, you bet.

The target start date is March of 2021. This should be a goal for all programs. Instead of shutting them out, bring them onto campus. Everyone knew that it would get worse and I understand weather is a factor. Florida had a terrible fall, rain like I have never seen, day after day, weeks at a time. But they got through it.

I have a suggestion for those folks who are confused as to the plan for your son/ daughter program and conference this spring. Get on the phone and make a call. Ask questions. It's your right to do so. If you feel uncomfortable call the assistant AD. You have a right. Or their should be parent Zoom meetings for the team parents.

Just a suggestion for everyone. You want to know, what is the plan (if you or your athlete dont know).

My post probably is more appropriate for those that live in the southeast where you can be outside more than inside, but those further north need to do some homework. It's better that you find out than taking someone's opinion for what's going to happen this spring.

JMO