Skip to main content

Reply to "More Fee only Showcase, camps and developmental clinics?"

You're not the only one he's launched a personal attack against Nelson.

Each of the universities represented at the Cangelosi College Development camp got a letter claiming their school committed an NCAA violation by being in attendance. This couldn't be further from the truth because, as CPLZ explained, these coaches are paid instructors. They are paid to be there, their travel expenses are covered, their lodging covered, their meals covered, etc. Ergo they are instructing, not recruiting, and it is not an NCAA violation.

One of my coaching friends at one of the unversities in question forwarded me a copy of their letter their president received. The letter was signed by a lady in Oak Park, who claimed to be represented by a lawyer named Dale Gribbons. The e-mail address that the letter came from, however, was hizhonor555@yahoo.com, which, I bet if CoachB25 or MN-Mom looked, would be the same e-mail address used to register the account in question.

Sad really that one person or small group of people have an axe to grind against some of the finest members of the baseball community. In dealing with Bill Copp, Dave Payton and the folks at Cangelosi Baseball, I have found them to be some of the finest people to work with. They have provided myself and my players with some of the most unbelievable opportunities ever and it all started sight unseen. All Bill had to go on when he first called me was the recommendation of the Diamondbacks' Midwest Crosschecker, whom he met on a flight back from Jupiter. But he extended me an offer to send kids to the Cangelosi Camp last year and then worked with me to make our tournament top notch. He also provided my kids some great opportunities in the fall with the Wrigley Classic and the Illini Fall Ball Invitational.

At any rate, there are now several people trying to connect the dots, myself included. And when I do connect the dots, I plan on freelancing the story to either the Tribune or Sun-Times and exposing just how low some people will stoop.
Last edited by Ben_Diggle