Skip to main content

Reply to "More Interpretational Help!"

Krak,

I was hoping others would explain as it usually happens on here. O44 did a nice job!

I’ll try to help…

Stab backside – There are MLB pitchers who do this. It’s more of a descriptive term than anything else. It means the pitcher could be smoother from the time the ball comes out of the glove to the point of going forward. It sometimes looks like a two part delivery. I believe Rick Sutcliffe was one that comes to mind that stabbed on the back side. (There are others) It usually associated with pitchers who have a long arm stroke.

Spins Curveball – This is both good and bad. It means the pitcher has the ability to spin the curveball the right way (has a feel for it). It also means the curveball appears to just spin without getting real good sharp bite. Sometimes a “hanging curveball” is described as one that just spins in the zone. All curveballs do spin, but they don’t always spin the same from one pitcher to the next. Usually as velocity increases so does the “spin” and sharpness of the break on the baseball. The slower the velocity and spin on the baseball the more “round” the pitch usually is. There are some very good slow curveball pitchers who get tremendous “spin”, though.

Starts Bats – This means several things, most all of which are good. Deception, changes speeds, everything looks like a strike early, good control.

On time delivery – This basically means the timing involving the mechanics is good. The ball is released at the proper time. The middle of the body is timed correctly with the throwing arm. Doesn’t open up too early or in very rare cases. too late.

Needs to gain strength – Some see this comment as a negative thing, we see it as a positive in most every case. Gaining strength is something nearly everyone can do with hard work. Depending on what present level a pitcher is at, it could be more of a negative to a scout if the pitcher was strong and physically mature.

Krak,

For a more precise explanation from the person who filed this report please email or PM me and I will give you his email address. He will be more than willing to explain what he saw to you. I do agree that sometimes we should stick to the easier to understand ways of describing things. Most all our people have very strong scouting backgrounds and tend to use descriptions geared towards other scouts. Also, remember that different scouts might see different things in the same player. It is all opinion, based on what people might see on any given day.

Best of luck to your son.