Skip to main content

Reply to "More on ordinary effort"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

I’ve told other a fly ball that a fielder has ample time to get under needs to be caught many0 many times, but there are of course variations. FI, a fielder who has to run 100’ at full speed to get under it, and gets there still running at full speed, isn’t likely to get popped by me.

Just some observations...  If fielder is "still running at full speed", I don't see how that qualifies for "having ample time to get under" it.  That is quite a variation.

But the particular play under discussion isn’t about that, its about weather conditions affecting play. Yesterday I checked the weather for that day and saw winds gusting up to 50mph. I’ve been to many baseball games, and that wind as bad or worse than I’ve ever seen it for a ball game.

Your initial description of the wind was 10-20 mph, which is quite normal for many of the locations we play.  There is a MASSIVE difference between 10-20 mph and up to 50mph and worse than I've ever seen.  If it were something closer to your first description, I could certainly see how there would be varying takes on the ruling, particularly if OF was "circling like a vulture".