Skip to main content

Reply to "Most Difficult Positions"

quote:
Where speed, athletics, arm, glove all have to be top notch.

I say catcher for the reasons stated but I'm going to use standards mentioned above.

Speed - most are going to say that catchers will require the least amount of speed but I think most people don't realize how much speed catchers need. A catcher better get up the line on back ups to first when you got that ball in the hole the IF is probably going to make a bad throw on. Catcher not there then that guy gets another base. Or on a bunt defense with a runner on first and the third baseman fields it. The catcher has to get down the line to cover first.

Glove - this is a no brainer. This guy is catching a guy throwing 90 some MPH. He's catching a guy who can make the ball drop off the table. A guy who can make the ball go sideways, change speed. He has to catch that ball without letting his glove move whereas all the other players can give a little. You have no idea how hard that low outside pitch is to stick. Now factor in plays at the plate. You got this throw coming in with a guy who has the intention to knock the living heck out of you and it's legal. You have to focus on the ball, catch it and brace for impact or react for a tag while wearing a mitt not exactly the greatest for this. You call for a low outside fastball and the pitcher unleases a 90 some MPH fastball up and in. The catche has to catch this. He has to field bunts and scoop balls out of the dirt.

Arm - a catcher has to throw the ball about 4 feet off the ground to a bag 127 feet away with no momentum. Coming from a squat to throw the ball that far and that accurately without any momentum is very tough. OF can use the crowhop and IF can take a few shuffle steps to generate momentum but a catcher has to catch and throw. On bunts it's slightly easier but you still have to move with shin guards on and those toe flaps flopping everywhere. The amount of footwork used for throwing a pickoff to first base is the toughest on the field for any position.

Athletics - While everything I said takes a ton of athleticism what sets catchers apart is that 90 some MPH pitch that's an inbetweener. It's coming in there and you're not sure if it's going to bounce or not. Do you block or glove it? Once you decide to go with block it takes a ton of athleticism to go from a squat, locate the spot where the ball is going to hit and then get over there in proper blocking postion. If you don't think blocking requires athleticism then get your son and go out in the backyard and practice some. You will be amazed.