Skip to main content

Reply to "Most Difficult Sport"

LOL, interesting topic, I think this is a three-part question…

• What sport requires the most extreme genetic gifts to reach highest level?
  • What sport requires the longest average soak time of extreme focused training to reach the highest level?
  • What sport has the highest combination of both reach the highest level?

In 1981 as soon to be HS junior I had a press pass for the US national track meet (I was a promising discus thrower in HS) and got to watch Edwin Moses run the 400 high hurdles up close and personal. This was in the middle of his 107 consecutive first place finishes between 1977 and 1987. I don’t know if there could be a more gifted and focused athlete, it was beyond description. I don’t think anything trumps track and field for requiring the most physical gifts to reach the highest level.

However, the training soak requirement for baseball is staggering. Most kids get a glimpse when they don’t make varsity as a freshman, and then again when they don’t start in college until they’re a soph or junior. It really hits home when they’re successful in a P5 program and hit a wall in high A, and again in AA. If they’re lucky, again in AAA and one more time at the MLB level. There are always anomalies, but for most each level is a big adjustment and few skip steps or struggles.

Since every problem is solved with a hammer if that’s all you have in your toolbox, my vote is for baseball… LOL!