Skip to main content

Reply to "Most important trait of a pitcher?"

quote:
Originally posted by cball:
quote:
Originally posted by dswann:
quote:
Originally posted by cabbagedad:
OK, we've got 3 or 4 posters who I've learned a lot from and whose viewpoints I value take the position of "arm strength first".
I agree and generally understand this position. However, I'd love to take this opportunity to ask those posters for specific breakdown as to why a pitcher who doesn't have a mid 80's plus arm cannot be affective at college level if he locates, mixes well and has mental toughness.
2012 son has been effective to date with those three and I anticipate that continuing thru HS. He has heard repeatedly that he needs to be mid 80's (he's not there)to make it to next level and is totally OK with trying to get there as hitter/position player but specific reasons/info/sound bites from experts always help.

Velo is king. There's enough players that will meet the minimum velo requirement, Subsequently those that are effective at a lower velo would not be afforded a opportunity.

no velo is not king. getting hitters out is.

Velo allows your the opportunity to make the team, to take the mound to compete. The OP son is a hitters worst nightmare. It could be a challenge to find a spot beyond HS or in HS depending on the pitching depth of the team. Not because he cannot get hitters out. He will not be afforded the opportunity to compete because of the emphasis placed on velocity.