Skip to main content

Reply to "Most important trait of a pitcher?"

quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
Not to burst your bubble cball, and speaking from very recent experince cball, unless your son is throwing at least 87 in showcases (for a Righty) he will not get a look from most D1's. For whatever reason 87 seems to be the magic number. My son is a 6'4" R pitcher who is very projectable, bla bla bla, and when he was sitting at 84-86 no one cared. Once he started throwing 87-89 the sky opened up and the phone started ringing.

Go look at some of PG's posts regarding the velocities at Jupiter. Like it or not velocity is all that matters, the rest can be taught. (at least from a college coach perspective)

Why would that comment burst my bubble? I was talking about 90+. Nearly every game I catch on TV if the radars are to be believed the vast majority of college pitchers I see are throwing somewhere in the mid to upper 80's. The D1 pitching coach I metioned said he didn't throw 90 until he was in pro ball.

One other thing D1 is not a goal of ours. A good school where he could play baseball is quite enough no matter what the classification
Last edited by cball