Skip to main content

Reply to "Move on: small vs program (or other)"

@RJM posted:

Just a observation from experience about academies. Being in the program at 13u or 14u doesn’t mean the kid makes the 17u team. What I saw was through 15u and sometimes 16u the organization was willing to have as many teams as there were willing paying customers. But at 17u it’s all about who are the best available payers regardless of where they played the previous year and being on the A team.

While, I get your point RJM, that can be a double edged sword.   If you are practicing, and playing every weekend with the best possible talent it raises the players level.

Additionally, when my son join tried out in the Fall- of 14U (for a national travel team) he did not make it.   He was the last one cut.   He doubled down and improved over the winter to make the team in the Spring.   There was only one national level team for a couple years.   Then something happened in travel baseball around 2007, 2008-ish.   All of the sudden these travel organizations were "sprouting" additional teams and feeder teams.   He stayed on the national level team, but I think it really helped that he started out on that team as a 14U player.  He developed quicker playing stiffer competition. 

Just my experience.....

Last edited by fenwaysouth