Skip to main content

Reply to "Mr. Selig, our readers have some advice"

First, these weren't my ideas. I copied them from a Boston Globe article. All the suggestions have merit worth discussing.

As for #11 Japanese ball is considered better than minor league ball. It's considered between AAA and MLB. But given the success of Japan in the WBC I can see where someone would suggest a series. It would be nice to see US players want to play and play like it matters. The problem is how long it would make a playoff season that's already too long.

I believe #1 has some real merit. A one game playoff is like playing Russian Roulette with your season. When the winner goes on to the first round he won't be able to use his #1 pitcher twice like the other team. #1 probably wouldn't pitch until game four.

I beleive the Red Sox have rostered up to finish in the wild card position yet be able to compete with the Yankees in a series. They can't outspend them to compete for first. But they can (injuries aside) outpitch them in a series. The #1 option would harm the Red Sox.

As for your ideas, divisions will never be eliminated. It guarantees more pennant races and fan interest late in the season. Schedules would have to be balanced which leads to more travel (issues with the MLBPA) and more expense (issue with the owners).

The season won't be shortened because players won't take less money. Doubleheaders are a thing of the past since it eliminates gate revenue. Most rain makeup doubleheaders are now day-night separate admission.

A rule I would like to see is teams always play on holidays. I remember when Memorial Day, the 4th and Labor Day were doubleheaders. Now if it's a Monday or Thursday travel day teams might not even play.