Skip to main content

Reply to "MSABC - Nomination Process -"

quote:
Originally posted by baseball12532:
Gatorade Player of the Year for DC will go to either one of the two at St John's -- LJ or Mack...

baseball 12532 brings up a good point. If one of the MARYLAND resident players gets picked as the Gatorade Player of the year for DC, then Gatorade must not be using the "where he lives" rule that Trepfan so valiantly espouses. They must be using the "where he goes to school" rule. So Trepfan must think that Gatorade's player selection committee is just as out of touch as the MSABC group.

I would hope that Trepfan would campaign just as hard that Gatorade would do the right thing (as Trepfan defines it) as he is campaigning that MSABC do the right thing (as Trepfan defines it). And if Trepfan is related to a player that lives in MARYLAND and goes to school in DC, and that player should win an award for DC (like the Gatorade player of the year award for DC), I would hope that he would advise that player not to accept that award. I am sure that because Trepfan recognizes that it is wrong for the MSABC coaches to have a "primary interest in promoting THEIR kids" it would be wrong for him to have a primary interest in promoting HIS kid by accepting an award for a state (or District) that his kid doesn't live in.

Imagine if Gatorade didn't have a "where he lives" or "where he goes to school" rule - then one player could win both the Maryland and DC awards. Now wouldn't that be strange?

I suppose that we don't have to worry that one player would be on both the MARYLAND and DC pre-season All-State teams. I don't think that DC has a coaches association (http://www.baseballcoaches.org/stateassociations.pdf) - so DC doesn’t have a preseason All State team.

Maybe that's why it is so important to Trepfan that players that live in MARYLAND and go to school in DC be allowed to be on the MARYLAND team. Maybe Trepfan could try to organize a DC coaches association, or a DC pre-season All District team (he could work with Bear - who is discussing "line-item budgets" and "high level schedules" and working on a "draft charter"). That way he could be working to benefit all the players in DC, and he wouldn't have a primary interest in promoting just kids that he knows, because we know Trepfan thinks it is wrong for the MSABC coaches to have a primary interest in promoting just THEIR kids.

Trepfan is right - "everyone sees that for what it is" - and "it is that simple."

Old Fox
Last edited by OldFox