Skip to main content

Reply to "MSABC - Nomination Process -"

quote:
Originally posted by banditsbb:
Mdbaseballcoach,

quote:
Hey Banditsbb I think you are over reacting to these comments. I see that you have a Junior so this means you are still new to this. I think you better put your seat belt on and get ready for the ride.

Not over reacting at all and hope it doesn't seem that way. I also am not unfamiliar with the recruiting process. The point of the post had nothing to do with my son, and only tried to use him as a example. IF he plays college ball or not will be up to him. My point is that there are different avenue's that players take to reach their goals. For someone to say that all players grades are biased to me is uncalled for.

quote:
Here is some advice for you. 1-7

Very good advice that I totally agree with, and no I don't speak for him. I have coached long enough to know that parents are one thing the coach doesn't want to deal with. I would imagine that parents have caused many players to not be recruited.

quote:
One more thing. As far as the letter goes you better check out the 120 pitches even if he works his way up. That is too much for a 16 or 17 year old.

Those pitch counts are for college teams. The reason the coach gave me that link was because my son threw 148 pitches in the game before he tore his ucl (tore it in next game). The reason for the high pitch count was the 14 k's but also 7 walks. I was very upset and told the pitching coach so. Many coaches advise the parents to just sit back and watch the game and let the coaches coach. As a parent you don't want to interfere because you don't want to cause your son problems. So I agree with your statement that coaches want to hear from the player and not the parent. Just be sure that the coach is someone you want your son to play for and that the school you choose is the best fit for your son. If they have talent they will also have options.

Banditsbb

Banditsbb - 14 Ks is no reason to let a player at 16 or 17 or 18 for that matter go 148 pitches. The majors won't let their guys go that much why should a 16 year old who is still growing.

I am sure you learned from this experience and feel terrible for not stepping in. Yes a coach doesn't want to hear from parents because most of the time the parent thinks that little Johnny should get more playing time.

At 16 you need to watch the pitch counts and step in if you have to. Tell your son that he has to say no. Ask for a meeting before the season starts to discuss a limit to how many pitches your son will throw. No matter who is winning the game.

Your high school coach may get the win but your son will end up never playing again.
Last edited by Mdbaseballcoach