Skip to main content

Reply to "msnbc article - america's 25 new "elite" ivies"

Sometimes schools can do an "early read" on financial aide, especially with recruited athletes. Universities do understand that athletes need financial aide information to make an educated decision on school choice. Universities know that these boys sign/commit in the fall. If you haven't had an early estimate read on financial aide, you might be surprised at the outcome. Some schools do figure in home equity at a different percentage rate than cash or savings accounts. Aide can be varied from school to school. Having previously resided in Sonoma County, I understand the house-rich /Cash-poor dilemma of CA real estate.

At first, we thought the possibility of Ivy League education was completely out of the question due to finances, but when we just came out and expressed our concerns to the schools, we found out it was something we could afford to do.

I would have to say that "best fit" is very important regarding choice of University.

My own son was extremely blessed to have been afforded several choices to many of the fine schools mentioned in this thread and more. Educations, of course, are phenominal at each of these institutions and coaches are great. It was a very difficult decision for our son, but he opted for Stanford and the fit has been perfect for him.

I will say that he put academics at top of his list, with a variety of other items rated in importance on a scale of 1-10. One very important thing to our son was the weather and the conference play. I know that might sound silly, but it was important to him and his overall happiness. Not necessarily items at the top of his list, but still important.

The key thing is to look at all possibilities and keep an open mind in the recruiting process. The more investigation and research you do in the forefront the less likely for doubts later on.

Believe me, we spent more than one night staring at the ceiling, unable to sleep, wondering where our son would decide to go, would he be happy, would the choice be the "right" one, etc., etc.?

But what a great "problem" to have!

On the other side of the decision, our son finished his Frosh year 1/3 of the way towards Bachelors, declared his Major and meet a ton of awesome college kids that are a lot like him. He had some ups and some downs, but he is very happy with his choice and would not go anywhere else. He loves his school! Professors, coaches and staff have been awesome! He even liked the food!!!

But, BeenthereIL is quite correct about the advantages of Ivy educations and alumni networks. University's reputation and respect worldwide= Higher starting salary and quality education. There are tremendous benefits and opportunities available for students of Ivy Institutions. I must say that part of our research definitely included reading the alumni list of previous graduates. University Faculty is a big one, too, (IE how many Nobel , Pulitzer, or other honorary awards has faculty earned?) Which fields of study does each institution excel? Are the faculty members approachable? Average starting salary of graduates. Employment Placement/Networking among graduate population? Best is to visit and ask a lot of questions. Talk to students, players, former players, former students, coaches, freshman's dean office, admissions, etc.

Listen to your son's inner voice, ultimately he will know in his heart where he must go.

Our son made his decision, we just provided the facts about each school so our son could make an educated decision.

Congratulations to you and your son, enjoy this year!

Do the homework and research regarding different Universities and the choice made will be the best one for your son!

Good Luck and have fun!