Skip to main content

Reply to "Multi Sport Athletes In College"

Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:
Son is a HS sophomore and getting interest and invites for baseball and basketball.  Baseball is much more active though due to, I believe, the fact that baseball recruiting timeline begins earlier than basketball.  Baseball recruiters believe they can see into the future ("projectable" is their word) more than hoops.  Basketball recruiters want to see the skills in real time. They hesitate to make the projection leaps that baseball does.  Although in hoops there are those 9th grade commits they are not as common as in baseball, IMO.  Boy wants to play baseball and basketball "for as long as possible."  That's what he is telling coaches.  Some raise an eyebrow, some are very supportive. 

He has a long and lean build, suitable for RHP-PO, and Forward on the hardcourt.  It gets awkward in regards to the scholarship $ from the school.  For both hoops and football, the scholarship would have to come from football or basketball.  You'd have to "walk-on" for baseball.  I don't believe NCAA allows programs to split scholarships between programs?

Can anyone speak on that?  CAN TWO DIFFERENT ATHLETIC PROGRAMS SPLIT A KID'S SCHOLARSHIP?  Say basketball coughs up 25% and baseball 25%?  I think not.  I did have one Assistant Coach suggest it could happen.  I didn't question him on it, yet.

Again, most likely scenarios are that you get scholarship for football then walk-on baseball in spring, or get scholarship for hoops and walk on in March, a month into the baseball season. 

In my son's case he has had feedback from various coaches regarding hoops/baseball: Ivies, High and Mid-Major D-1s.  Their early responses are all over the place.

I tell my son, keep playing both as long as possible.  The real trick, long before college, is playing the necessary exposure circuits for both sports.  AAU summer hoops is where basketball players are recruited.  And summer baseball showcases are where baseball players are recruited.  And summer 7 on 7 play, combines, and football camps are where football players are recruited.

To me, GETTING EXPOSURE FOR TWO SPORTS IS THE REAL TOUGH NUT TO CRACK.  You crack that, and the rest will be gravy.  The key then is to find two college coaches who WANT you to play two sports.  Who will SUPPORT your desire to play two sports. And two coaches who believe they can share an athlete.

Get a scholarship for football or hoops, then be a walk-on for the baseball team.  PITCHERS ESPECIALLY.  If you're good, it's like Christmas in March for the baseball coach. 

Again, it helps if you are a PO.     Position Players?  You better be REALLY good with the bat or glove!

NCAA has rules to prevent the revenue sports from stockpiling extra talent on the rosters of non-revenue sports.

If an athlete plays football and anything else, even if he doesn't receive athletic aid, he counts against the football headcount limit.

If he plays basketball and baseball, he counts against the basketball headcount limit if he receives athletic money in either sport.