Skip to main content

Reply to "My Hometown"

Flint, Michigan
Birthplace of GM by Billy Durant; sit-down strike of '37' forced GM to recognize collective bargining rights of UAW.
Infamous for native Michael Moore's "Roger and Me" that tells the story of working class despair, 80,000 GM employees in 1980 and less than 15,000 today. Flint is also infamous for its frequent appearence on lists of most violent cities.
Rock-n-Rollers may appreciate that Grand Funk RR originated in Flint. Will Ferrell's next movie "Semi-Pro" is set in Flint.
MLB History: Flint is most proud of Jim Abbott. Other notables include Scott Aldred (once held MLB rcord for most appearences in a season w/o a decision), Steve Boros, Rick Leach, Joe Mays (I played HS ball with his dad at Carman), Merv Rettenmund (WS rings w/ Orioles and Reds), Jeff Hamilton (Carman HS, WS ring with Dodgers) and Herb Washington (MLB record for most runs scored w/o a plate appearence, formerly world's fastest human).
MSU's national championship in basketball put the spotlight on Flint with Peterson. Cleaves, and Bell.
Flint is rebounding and features four colleges (UM-Flint,Mott CC, Kettering Univ, and Baker College) with an enrollment of over 40,000 students.