Skip to main content

Reply to "My son is in over his head"

He did play high school this spring and hated moments of it as well. I talked to him some more and he just really misses his old team and old coach from before his team was bought by this elite organization. He made great friends, great memories and just loved everything about it. He's a quiet kid, slow to make friends, who doesn't like change. He will definitely make JV next spring. As far as varsity I think it's too early to know. It will depend how he develops as well as the kids coming up behind him. The school expected them to play summer with a "quality" team. I didn't see anyone on the team that is playing like who we are competing against this summer. I have never heard of legion or red programs. Just rec. I don't even know if rec goes up to his age.

It appears your son is only into baseball when it perfectly suits his needs. Life is rarely this perfect. If he wants to keep playing he’s going to have to develop a stronger work ethic and stronger desire to compete and play. It appears he desires to play as opposed to wants it. Based on his desires he sounds better suited for rec ball. It’s all fun, smiles and ice cream cones. Based on your description of the situation your son son sounds like a kid who doesn’t care to put in the effort for success. He probably can’t grasp how hard the kids who want it (success) work at it.

My kids loved playing varsity and travel. But they were completely committed to being the best players they could be and playing at least to the college level. It involved committing to a daily schedule away from the teams. It involved being committed when they may have preferred doing something else. Sometimes the only fun part was the vision of the future.

Note: Auto incorrect preferred red to rec and made the change when I posted. I meant rec ball. Where my kids grew up Legion was another level of rec ball. It was high school varsity bench players and JV players.

Last edited by RJM