Skip to main content

Reply to "My son recently was contact my agent/advisor"

Originally Posted by baseballman13:
I think ment more along the lines of that's where he projects at. And I also myself found it a little odd that he heard from an agent, I Always thought guys that weren't top 10 round projects, didn't need one?

There are some drafted outside the first 10 or so rounds who need the very, very best adviser possible.  There are not many of those, though, because they have to be players usually with strong college commitments who might otherwise be picked in rounds 1-5, or so.  In some situations, a team will pick them in the 30th to 40th round and take a run at them with a very large bonus, if the team has that money available with their draft and signings under the new slotting system.

In terms of where a player  might project, after the first 5 rounds and sometimes even before then, it is often far more anguish and disappointment than fulfillment.  Our son, within 48 hours of the draft received reports from scouts that he could be gone by the 10th round, certainly by the end of the first day(19th round at that time) and other input of 30th to 50th round. This information came from scouts who were are the draft headquarters for their teams and had access to information. From years of posting on this site and talking with many in and around baseball, that experience was more the norm than the exception(calls started coming in the 13th round including one from a scout who he had not seen for over one year telling him he would be picked next...he was not.) To be blunt, I doubt there is anyone in baseball who could slot someone in rounds 25-27, at this early date, or on draft day.  My thought process is that adviser opened  questions on his knowledge and experience, just by making a comment of that type.