Skip to main content

Reply to "My Son Wants to Quit Baseball..."

quote:
Again, that may be the problem at hand. Because practice and scrimmages are where you learn and develop skills...it's not always in regular season games. The coach may have picked up on that. I don't know your son and for all we know he is the hardest working player on the team, but the fact that you mention he isn't learning anything makes us wonder if maybe that isn't being projected to the coach. If that is the case, then your son has already "quit" in his mind.

There is another side to these stories. On my son's High School team, the Coaches decide very early on 8th graders playing on Freshman Fall ball team or in Freshman year who they think will play. Those kids get 95% of the instruction and very little field time to show they can play. My son has started for most of his High School career, but I have seen many instances where very good players have been "passed over" for another player and it isn't for lack of hussle or ability. It happens and the only thing to do is transfer to another school or find a Summer team that wants him to play. If he wants to play in College, go to camps at the schools he wants to go to. Get evaluations from them and work on your own to make the needed improvements.