Skip to main content

Reply to "My Son was Released Today"

Originally Posted by ClevelandDad:

Before going any further with this topic, please no condolences or sympathies, I believe the news today was positive... thanks

I hope I'm not being presumptuous when I say that I think I know precisely what you mean.

The day my son called to say that he'd been released, one of the things he said was, "Dad, this means that you and Mom will never get the chance to see me play again, and it always gave you so much enjoyment!" His release had come at the end of a failed effort to rehab from a torn labrum repair, and he knew that free agency wasn't a realistic option.

At the time, I was so glad that he said that because it gave me the opportunity to reply, "Son, your mother and I revel in the opportunity to watch you strive to succeed at anything you've undertaken. Of course, we love the game; but, we'll be just as riveted to your efforts and accomplishments in this next chapter as we were whenever you took the mound."

"We've always known that the day would come when we turned the page on playing days. It'll be a great joy watching you head down the next path."

...and you know what? It has!

Congratulations to to all of you, CD! It's been a wonderful journey, so far; and, you have much more joy in store for you!