Skip to main content

Reply to "My Son was Released Today"

Originally Posted by RJM:
Originally Posted by Sfgiants:

Thank you for sharing and it's been great reading all of the responses.  I am a mom of a kid that I'm told has some great talent. Of coarse I would agree but I'm his mom.  Unfortunately for him, his mom knows nothing about getting him exposed, nothing about colleges, nothing about showcased... so I enjoy the days watching him play until it's over..... Best of luck to your son.  When one door closes, another opens! 

Be selective regarding the compliments. A lot of people don't really know what it takes at the next level (whatever that level may be). When my son was seven I started hearing how I wouldn't have to pay for college in three sports. I bought in when a pro scout told me he had pro prospect potential. I told my son to forget he overheard the comment and keep working hard.

I didn't see see my daughter as having any more potential than to play high school softball. She was as much of a late bloomer as a girl can be. She exploded on the radar screen in three sports in high school. She played college softball. In fact, in basketball she didn't go out for the middle school team. She knew she wouldn't make it. She played rec ball. She was in he varsity rotation soph year.

Agreed!  Luckily for me I have a very humbled son.. He always feels he can improve and attends lessons to do so.  His lessons coach, who spent time in AA ball, tells my son that his arm is twice what his was at his age but reminds him of all of the other things he needs to do to be the best he can at his position. It's a lot of work.  He loves the sport and that's why he does it.  Even if it's just a travel ball game, he wants to do his position well.... Even in a game that doesn't matter.  but I just feel that since I'm so out of the loop and dunce to this baseball world that he will more than likely be overlooked because I don't know where to send him and whom to put him in front of.  He's a sophomore, so not much time in HS left so I just have him focused on GPA and hopefully a career goal for his future....but the baseball years have been fun to watch.