Skip to main content

Reply to "My Son was Released Today"

ClevelandDad posted:
RJM posted:

You need to change the title of the bread to ... "Just keep getting up and prove yourself again." It's a testimony to effort.

I thought about that but then thought, the title says that anyways albeit in what appears to be a roundabout negative fashion.  I appreciate everyone's very kind wishes. 

My son has been up for over a week now and gotten two whole at bats.  I told him this morning just go about your business with a smile on your face and control what you can control - probably told him that hundreds of times before.  You cannot control what gets written on the lineup card each day.  Attitude and effort are the only things you can control.  You have to be ready for one at bat.  

CD,

I was listening to one of the D3 press conferences yesterday. It was very emotional because it was the defending champs who had just been eliminated in a very close game where they had 2 guys thrown out at home, the second being the last out of the game.

One of the players was asked about his experience as a transfer to the program.  His response struck me and I almost posted it as a question, but I actually think it belongs here.  What that player talked about was the incredibly personal importance of having one coach who believed in him when no one else did and that coach was the one who recruited him.

He truly was invested with a personal responsibility to that coach and to his teammates to work as hard as he could, and harder than he ever imagined he could, to "earn" that confidence.

Personally, I don't know if every or even most players thrive off of a similar type of "edge" for "motivation."  I know, for our son, it made a huge difference both at Trinity University and for his successes in Milb.

In Milb, I  believe that having at least one person in an  organization who "believes" in a player  is hugely important for a player, but for a totally different reason than can happen in HS or college.  As you noted, Tyler can only focus on what he can control and to be ready when an opportunity arises.  He probably does not need the motivation of someone believing in him and it is almost against the "mantra" of MLB organizations.  What someone believing in him can do in MLB is to be his voice within the organization so that a door can open just slightly.  Tyler is fully capable to doing the rest.

I truly hope Tyler "controlling" what he can combines with a strong organizational voice who "believes in him" to pop open the bigger opportunity he has worked so very hard to "earn."

Last edited by infielddad